Monday, May 22, 2017

Meditating for Beginners

Meditating for Beginners

Heard of all the benefits of meditation but aren’t sure where to begin? Don't fret because I’m going to give you some tips on how to get started!

Pick a spot that’s peaceful and contains little to no distractions
When pick a spot it’s important to make sure that it’s an area that is free of distractions or noise. I’d highly recommend you avoid rooms in your house that have TV’s or other appliances on or places that have other people in them. Best places I’ve tried were in my backyard and in my office. This time is suppose to be for you to reflect on your thoughts and the space around, by being in a space that is free from distractions you’ll have a much easier time focusing.

Pick a time of day & make it a routine
Repetition is key to developing a habit and meditation is no exception. Decide a time of day you can be consistent with so you can make it a routine part of your day. Both early in the day and later in the day have their benefits. For example, if you want to focus and gain composure for the day ahead then I’d recommend you’d try a morning meditation routine. On the other hand, if you’re a busy body and want to rest your mind and relax after a hard day of work then you should definitely try it at night.

Prepare your body
This can be for the sake of apparel or physical purposes. Try to clear your throat and or nose of any obstructions that challenge you from performing nice long breaths. When it comes to clothing try to be as comfortable as possible. Any watches, necklaces or jewelry that constrict you should be temporarily removed.

Headspace
Headspace is a great application that coaches beginners through the process of meditation. I’ve undergone a few sessions it definitely helped me learn and focus on my method of meditating. It’s on the App Store and is free to download.

(Retrieved from Headspace's YouTube Channel)


2 comments:

  1. We are huge fans of Headspace in our home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very coincidental that I'm coming across this post as I've been wanting to start meditation for quite some time now. My life is very fast paced and I would like to have a way to effectively recharge. I will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete